Relaxing…or Trying To #MFRWAuthor

For the #MFRWAuthor 52-Week Blog hop, this week, week 33, we are talking about what I do to recharge!

Relaxing really isn’t something that a writer does.  Well, at least for me it isn’t.
Every time I go out or have a conversation, I’m constantly thinking about ideas for books, even though at the time I might not be conscious of it.  But my mind is always churning new ideas.
And this is why when I have some downtime, I’m usually reading.  There are weeks where I devour at least five to seven books, but then, like every other reader, there are weeks where I don’t read a thing because I’m not in the mood or there aren’t any books that I want to read.
And if there aren’t any books that I want to read, I usually revert to reading FanFiction.  (I love FanFiction, please don’t get me started).  I figure that as long as I’m reading something, my mind still thinking up ideas (although sometimes it doesn’t become apparent right away).

So when I’m not writing or outlining (including the business side of writing), or filling out characterization worksheets, or thinking up new ideas, or reading…I’m usually watching Investigation Discovery, The Great British Baking show (which I am completely obsessed with) or walking or swimming my dog, Maddie.
And I recently decided that I want to start a side business.  I am going to start designing book covers.  If I wasn’t as if I was busy enough, I added something else to my plate, but I love being busy and this was a perfect way to keep my mind on writing and use more of my visual creative side.
And on that note, I’m going back to designing my latest cover before finishing an outline.  Busy, busy!

Thank you for stopping by!

Contact

Comments

1. Maureen Bonatch - August 18, 2017 @ 7:15 am

Congrats on your new business with book covers! That’s great!

2. Kenzie Michaels - August 18, 2017 @ 7:21 am

The four shows I’m watching reruns of at the moment are: Criminal Minds (netflix), Designing Women, One Day At A time, and Maude. The only regular show I watch during the week is Big Brother. That’s another way I unwind, lol:)

• Valerie Ullmer - August 18, 2017 @ 7:29 am

I love Designing Women and the other older shows, but they don’t show here. Every once in a while I catch an episode of M*A*S*H and I get nostalgic! Thanks for stopping by, Kenzie!

3. Meka James - August 18, 2017 @ 8:01 am

Good luck with your new business venture!

I’ve not read any fan fiction. Not that I’m opposed, it just that I barely make time to read as it is so when I do, I will pick one of the many books collecting dust on my Kindle or Barnes and Noble app.

• Valerie Ullmer - August 18, 2017 @ 8:48 am

Thank you, Meka! Fanfiction has some great writers, but since they revamp another’s ideas, they can’t take credit for it. But there are some really good stories!

4. Ellie Mack - August 18, 2017 @ 8:05 am

Awesome! We are obsessed with The Great British Baking Show. Once the weather is cooler, we are going to have our own weekly challenges, to see how we (My youngest daughter and I) fare at baking the item for that week. I have already dabbled in making crackers, or savory biscuits as they would say. I’ve mastered homemade sugar free grahams, and multigrain crackers. I used to read a lot, got out of the habit. Since I do editing, I spend a lot of my reading time reading manuscripts. I would be interested in seeing your work for covers.
    Maybe we should do a resource share – I edit, you do covers, maybe someone else does formatting!
    Thanks for sharing!

• Valerie Ullmer - August 18, 2017 @ 8:45 am

If you ever need a cover, just let me know, I would love to do one for you. The resource share is a great idea!

As for the recipes, you are very brave. While I have a nice KitchenAid mixer, I have to work up to some of those recipes.

Thanks for stopping by!

5. Alina K. Field - August 18, 2017 @ 8:18 am

I LOVE the Great British Baking Show! And I confess, I’ve never looked at Fan Fiction. I’ll have to check that out.

• Valerie Ullmer - August 18, 2017 @ 8:43 am

Fanfiction is very addictive, I just want to let you know. The Great British Baking Show is wonderful, nothing like the competitive, cut-throat shows in America. Thanks for stopping by Alina!

6. Robin Michaela - August 18, 2017 @ 1:40 pm

The Great British Baking Show sounds very cool. I’ve given up baking since Hubby and I have been dieting, though. RE: fan fiction, my first book is fan fiction in Amazon’s Kindle Worlds. There are quite a few “worlds” in there (example: Vampire Diaries and Gossip Girl). Amazon doesn’t seem to advertise the worlds much, so people often don’t know they are there.

• Valerie Ullmer - August 19, 2017 @ 7:26 am

I didn’t know that, I’ll have to check out Kindle Worlds. Thanks for stopping by, Robin!

7. Ed Hoornaert - August 18, 2017 @ 3:22 pm

Good luck with the cover business. I’ve designed a few of my own covers and a lot of promotional material. I agree, it’s a fun change of pace from writing.