5 Ways to Win My Heart #MFRWauthor

For the #MFRWAuthor 52-Week Blog hop, this week, week 37, I’m describing five ways to win my heart.

Books, books, and books.  Well, that’s the first requirement at least.  You could put me alone (well, with my husband and my dog, Maddie) somewhere deserted, and as long as I have something to read, I’m golden.  It doesn’t matter if it’s a hardcover, paperback, Kindle, or iPad, I need something to read daily in order to make me happy.

A close second, and I mean really close, is coffee.  Come to think of it, I couldn’t be somewhere deserted because I love coffee way too much.  I never thought that I could get so addicted, but for years now, I drink coffee like I’m never going to get another cup for the rest of my life.  I love coffee, especially Gevalia, so if I was supplied with an unlimited amount of coffee, I’d be ecstatic.

The third would be notebooks and pens.  Every year when the stores have sales on notebooks and pens, I stock up, even though I have plenty from the year before.  Although I don’t use them every day, when I’m outlining, I use an entire college ruled notebook for each story.  And pens.  It has taken me years to find pens that I like, but when I discovered InkJoy pens, especially the gel ones, I stocked up.  I color code everything, from POV, to notes, and scene changes.  The pens help me keep everything in order.

The fourth would be an ability to make me laugh.  My husband can tell me a story about his day at work, and by the end of it, he’ll have me rolling on the floor.  He sees everything in a way that amazes me, never getting uptight about things he can’t control and finding the humor in everyday things.  I love to laugh, and if I can find something humorous or take him by surprise by making him chuckle, it’s all worth it.

And finally, my baby girl, Maddie.  She is the reason that I leave my introverted life and go and talk to dog people.  I’m still uncomfortable in crowds, but if you have a dog, I will ask you everything about your dog from how old they are to at what age your dog was when you adopted (hopefully adopted) them.  My husband and I adopted Maddie when she was 10 weeks old and I love every minute with her.  She loves her dad the most.  She has taught me dedication and unconditional love and I know that I will always need a dog in my life to make me happy.

Thanks for stopping by!!

Contact Valerie

Comments

1. Kenzie Michaels - September 15, 2017 @ 6:15 am

I’m thrilled to learn there’s someone else out there who drools over paper! I love notebooks, journals, sticky notes, scratch pads….and Maddie’s eyes…..you have a sweetheart!

I’m the same way; I notice all dogs when I’m out and about.

Great post!

• Valerie Ullmer - September 15, 2017 @ 9:08 am

Thank you, Kenzie. I’m glad I’m not the only one that’s obsessed with paper. Maddie knows she’s a sweetheart and she wraps people around her little paw.

2. Cathy Brockman - September 15, 2017 @ 9:13 am

Great List !

3. Helen Henderson - September 15, 2017 @ 10:52 am

glad there’s someone else out there who mentioned paper and books. And congrats on Maddie, unconditional love is the best.

• Valerie Ullmer - September 15, 2017 @ 11:48 am

Thanks, Helen. I do love my books, but when Maddie wags her tail and shoves her head under my hand for a rub, it’s the greatest!

4. Trevann - September 15, 2017 @ 11:17 am

Such a joy to find someone else who loves notebooks and blank journals. I have more than I will ever use in my lifetime, and yet I buy more. It’s an addiction. And pens go without saying.. It must be a writer thing.

• Valerie Ullmer - September 15, 2017 @ 11:47 am

It probably is and it’s something that I won’t give up anytime soon. Thanks for stopping by!

5. Ed Hoornaert - September 15, 2017 @ 12:20 pm

Who doesn’t love a great pen? And books and laughter? Coffee, though . . . no thanks. I know, I know — in today’s world, that makes me some kind of freak.

• Valerie Ullmer - September 15, 2017 @ 1:31 pm

To each their own, I say!

6. Alina K. Field - September 16, 2017 @ 2:48 pm

I’m a pen, notebook, and folder freak. I love August and September shopping for “school” supplies.

7. Meka James - September 16, 2017 @ 3:13 pm

Doggies! I love puppies. I’ve adopted all but one of mine. My newest addition, Titan the Yorkie, is my first and only dog from a breeder.

I too love pens, not for keeping thing organized like you, because I’m so not organized, but I just like getting colorful pens and always buy them when I find them on sale.