My Writing Space #MFRWAuthor

For the #MFRWAuthor 52-Week Blog hop, this week, week 47, My Writing Space.

When I write, whether it’s outlining a new book or writing into Scrivener, I like little to no clutter around my workspace.  I have a desk that isn’t overly large, about five foot by two, but I have a lot of storage space.  Since I have a laptop, I use the space that is meant for a desktop computer to store my collection of blank notebooks and those that have story ideas that I’m going to write in the future.  I have enough paper and pens to supply a classroom full of kids for an entire year, and I love my notebooks.  They remind me of the possibilities left to be explored.
I have a drawer filled with extra pens, cause you never know, and also filled with post-it notes and other small notepads I can grab quickly to take notes.  I also have shipping tape and regular scotch tape, along with paperclips (which I love) and binder clips.  Basically, if you left me in an office supply store, I’d be set for the rest of my life.  My bottom drawer consists of manuscripts and notebooks that contain the outline to my books.  I save everything.
There is usually one to two notebooks on my desk.  Right now, the notebook contains the outline for my new release, coming out December 22nd.  I like to outline freehand, let the ideas flow, and between what I write down and what goes into Scrivener, the story is fleshed out fully.  I often refer back to my little notes on the side of the page, reminding me to include some small detail that I might miss otherwise.
I also have sticky notes.  I buy long post-it notes and when I’m stuck on an idea, I free write in the small note and it helps me organize my thoughts.  With these notes, though, it’s hit or miss whether I can add them to my story.  Sometimes they work, but most often, they are just an errant thought that I have to get down in case.
Then I have my coffee cup of highlighters.  I use those to keep POV straight.  Then I have a pencil/pen holder full of Inkjoy pens.  For me, nothing else will do but InkJoy in a myriad of colors.  I have random small notebooks that I received as gifts, that I use to jot down an idea.  Also, when I have a notebook out, it usually means I have correction tape.  I love that stuff and I tend to use it quite a bit when I’m fleshing out a story.
I, of course, have a coffee warmer, since I drink the stuff from the moment I get up until the early afternoon.  I have an old, black-and-white Gameboy with Tetris because I love that game and it makes me smile.  When I’m stressed or need a break, I get lost in the game for a few minutes until I die and then get back to work.
My cell and my iPad are usually close.  When I’m writing a series, I tend to reference my books on my iPad.
And that covers my workspace.
Thank you for stopping by!

Contact Valerie

Comments

1. Shari Elder - November 24, 2017 @ 7:27 am

I love having lots of office supplies around me. Once I started to write, I fell in love with office supply stores–I think my idea of a temporary escape is to lose myself in Staples picking out pens, index cards (use these instead of sticky notes), markers, journals.

• Valerie Ullmer - November 24, 2017 @ 8:55 am

I right there with you, Shari. Thanks for stopping by!

2. Kenzie Michaels - November 24, 2017 @ 10:41 am

LOL….I thought I was the only one who loved office supplies! I drool over blank notebooks, sticky notes, and journals, and wish I could bring them all home. I have two coffee cups and a plastic champagne glass full of pens collected at signings, plus a box full of cool swag I’ve picked up over the past ten years.

• Valerie Ullmer - November 25, 2017 @ 7:54 am

I’m glad I’m not the only one. 🙂

3. Meka James - November 24, 2017 @ 11:18 am

I’m always buying new pens. I love having colorful ones so whenever I see some on sale I will pick up a package. I need them now more than ever since my youngest is really into drawing and making things. Regardless of the fact we buy him crayola sets, he always ends up taking my pens.

Yay for your upcoming release!

• Valerie Ullmer - November 25, 2017 @ 7:56 am

Thank you, Meka! I love pens, but when I go to a restaurant and they have crayons, I’m drawing on the placemat for kids right along with them.

4. Sherry Lewis - November 24, 2017 @ 12:35 pm

I love reading about different writing techniques. Yours sounds fascinating! I use lots of Post-its and colored pens too, for most of my books. Not all. Every book is different. But many. I love color.

5. Alina K. Field - November 24, 2017 @ 4:29 pm

My favorite time of year is late summer when all the stores have school supplies!

6. Ed Hoornaert - November 24, 2017 @ 8:47 pm

I envy you your office supplies. computers are marvelous things, but they lack the romance and allure of a good office supply store.

7. Alicia Coleman - November 25, 2017 @ 11:41 am

I love office supplies. Pens, mechanical pencils, sticky notes and cute notebooks.

8. Raine Balkera - November 25, 2017 @ 12:43 pm

Pens, colorful sticky notes, and lined notepads are 3 things I cannot do without at my desk, yet they are also 3 of the things I rarely use! They’re there just in case… 😀

• Valerie Ullmer - November 26, 2017 @ 7:36 am

Yep, you never know Raine. 🙂 Thanks for stopping by!

9. Maureen Bonatch - November 26, 2017 @ 6:11 pm

Love me some office supplies! I avoid going to that section of the store because there are so many temptations. Thanks for sharing your wonderful space!

• Valerie Ullmer - November 27, 2017 @ 8:54 am

Thanks for stopping by, Maureen!