My Earliest Memory – #MFRWauthor

Welcome to Week 2 of the Marketing for Romance Writer’s 52-week blog challenge.  This week, I will tell you about my earliest memory.

As far back as I could remember, my parents brought home extra paper, pens, and pencils home from their work because they knew how much I enjoyed drawing and writing.  I love the smell of paper, especially when you wrote on it with ink.  I used pencils, usually only when I had my hands on an eraser, but my preferred method was using pens.  I still do.
Along with paper and pens, I used to get accordion files and file the papers in.  Although I had other toys to play with, I really enjoyed filing what paperwork I had and writing and drawing on whatever scratch paper I had available.  I used my closet as a sort-of filing room where I kept stacks of papers.  I also had a plastic pencil case that I filled with colored pencils.  The pens were in a cup so they were easily accessed.
And when I learned my name, which is quite long, by the way, I would write it over and over again after I learned to spell it.  I couldn’t pronounce it for the life of me, but after several weeks, I could write it.  I used to write in cursive using lined paper that was common when I was a kid.
It’s still the same to this day.  I have files, paper and notebooks everywhere, and more pens than I know what to do with.  I love to write as much as I can.  I outline entire stories by hand before I use Scrivener.  Notebooks and paper are essential to me now as it was as a child.
And that is one of my first memories that stand out.
Thank you for stopping by!!

Contact

Comments

1. Meka James - January 12, 2018 @ 8:47 am

Very cool. My youngest son loves to write and draw. He’s forever making books complete with covers that he staples together. I’m a collector of pens myself. I have plenty and always buy more. Especially since youngest son tends to steal my pens for his latest work.

• Valerie Ullmer - January 12, 2018 @ 10:19 am

He sounds very creative. I think that if I had encouragement from my parents, I would have found my desire to write sooner. Thanks for you stopping by, Meka!

2. Kenzie Michaels - January 12, 2018 @ 9:17 am

LOL….I remember playing with my dad’s adding machine, and being fascinated when my mom typed! Since I wasn’t allowed to play with the typewriter, I had fun pushing all those buttons on my dad’s machine:)

• Valerie Ullmer - January 12, 2018 @ 10:22 am

Yeah, when I went to the office, I played on the typewriter. I loved it. One day, I want a typewriter just to have. It’s not practical, but I want one anyway. Thanks for stopping by, Kenzie!

3. Ed Hoornaert - January 12, 2018 @ 3:20 pm

Your comment about learning to write your name reminded me of my older sister teaching me how to spell my last name. The first name, Ed, was no problem. 😉

4. Cathy Brockman - January 12, 2018 @ 4:16 pm

I too loved and still do pens, colored pencils, pencil boxes notebooks and files. When school stuff comes out I am like a little kid. Every year I buy myself one cool notebook. I love doing my character and setting sketches on paper before Scrivner as well.

5. Trevann Rogers - January 12, 2018 @ 4:58 pm

Are you still into office supplies?☺️ I am, and I am addicted!

6. Raine Balkera - January 15, 2018 @ 12:33 pm

Thanks for sharing! I still remember finding my Dad’s birth certificate in my parent’s room and just staring at it in shock. For a while, I mistakenly feared he wasn’t my real dad 😉 Now, I want desperately to use the Lithuanian version over what was given my grandfather.