A Book That Influenced My Life – #MFRWAuthor

Welcome to Week 4 of the Marketing for Romance Writer’s 52-week blog challenge.  This week I’m talking about a book that influenced my life.

I would have to say the book the influenced my life the most was Gone with the Wind.  It got me interested in romance, although it did NOT have a happily ever after that, at the time, was devastating.  It also planted the idea of becoming a writer, although it was a fleeting imagining that developed into something much later in life.
I picked up the book during my senior year in high school.  It was a scary transitional period for me.  I had already been thinking about college, trying to narrow down what I wanted to do with the rest of my life, and due to circumstances that I’d rather not get into at the moment, found myself with a lot (I mean A LOT) of time on my hands.  I had a free period one day, and the librarian suggested that I read Gone with the Wind.  So I checked it out and read the first chapter, and I was hooked.
So for the next four weeks, I read during breaks, free periods, and after school.  I was absorbed in the book from the moment I picked it up, and although people teased me for picking up such a huge book (it’s over a thousand pages), thinking that I would never finish it.  But when I did, I searched for other romances or romance-themed books from the library and it started my book obsession that continues to this day.
And Gone with the Wind was also the book that made me realize how much words could influence your life.  I was immersed in the world of the pre and post Civil War South, but it was the characters and wanting to find out what happened to them and kept me reading.  And that one book over twenty years ago has shaped me and my writing all these years later.
Thank you for stopping by!

Contact

Comments

1. Helen Henderson - February 2, 2018 @ 9:35 am

Interesting book choice.

2. Kenzie Michaels - February 2, 2018 @ 12:27 pm

I still love that book! It wasn’t until I was in HS that I was allowed to watch the entire movie on TV; I was always sent to bed after the war was over, but since I could hear the TV in my room, I stayed up to listen to the rest, even making multiple trips to the bathroom when I just *had* to see what was going on. Unfortunately, was always caught and ordered back to my room, lol!

• Valerie Ullmer - February 2, 2018 @ 12:53 pm

Yeah, I was always caught when I wanted to watch something, too. But I had an older brother in high school and he let me listen to his Quiet Riot LP’s and watch Revenge of the Nerds, so when my parents found out, I was punished, not him.

3. Ed Hoornaert - February 2, 2018 @ 9:43 pm

Any book that changes your life (i.e. turning you into a writer) is by definition a great book. I think most people would agree that you picked a good one.

4. Robin Michaela - February 3, 2018 @ 4:49 am

I read Gone With the Wind, too, and was surprised how much it differed from the movie version. I do wish it had a happy ending, though!

• Valerie Ullmer - February 4, 2018 @ 7:41 am

Yeah, me too. I think that she understood at the end, but everyone has limits. Thanks for stopping by, Robin!

5. Meka James - February 3, 2018 @ 9:48 am

I always say I’m not a very good Southerner for having never read Gone With The Wind. Hell I’ve not even watched the movie. LOL I do know the ‘famous’ line from it.

• Valerie Ullmer - February 4, 2018 @ 7:41 am

Yeah, it’s very dense and I only read it once, but I still remember it very well to this day! Thanks for stopping by!

6. Linda McLaughlin - February 3, 2018 @ 12:05 pm

Great choice, Valerie! I devoured it, too.